This veggie-loaded version of classic shepherd's pie will be a hit with vegetarians and carnivores alike!
Hands-on Time: 45 min. | Total Time: 1 hour, 30 min. | Serves: 12 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- ½ lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 5 Tbsp. butter, divided
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. thyme, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Kroger® Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat oven to 400°F. Butter or spray a 9"x13" pan (3 quart) casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, boil potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and mash with butter, half and half, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat, add butter, onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook 6-8 minutes until mushrooms release liquid and it evaporates.
- Add soy sauce and tomato paste. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add broth and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook 20-25 minutes until lentils are tender and broth is absorbed. Stir in peas and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Transfer lentil mixture into prepared pan. Top with mashed sweet potatoes, covering completely. Drag the tines of a fork across the surface of the potatoes to slightly rough up the surface.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until bubbling and potatoes start to brown. Allow to stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 230, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g (9% DV), Saturated Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 15mg (5% DV), Sodium 820mg (34% DV), Carbohydrates 35g (12% DV), Dietary Fiber 6g (24% DV), Sugars 5g, Protein 11g, Vitamin A 180%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 4%, Iron 15%.