Deep-red beets provide an eye-catching, tasty twist on traditional latkes.
Hands-On Time: 5 min.
Total Time: 30 min.
Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. fresh beets, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper, ground
- Vegetable oil
- Apple sauce, sour cream, or chives (optional garnishes)
- Combine beets, onion, eggs, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil (cover to about ¼” high) in a 12” skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drop about 2 Tbsp. of beet mixture into the oil, flattening slightly to form a latke. Cook 2-3 min., until golden brown. Flip, cooking another 2-3 min. until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat this step until all dough has been used up.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with apple sauce, sour cream, or chives, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 80, Calories from Fat 15, Total Fat 1.5g (2% DV), Saturated Fat 0.5g (2% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 400mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates 12g (4% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 5g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.